Thursday, March 24, 2016


Advances and royalties for books engage every writer’s mind sooner or later. However there are extras that are often forgotten, such as the Public Lending Right and copyright collectives' payments, both of which are paid annually.

The Public Lending Right (PLR) is a program which compensates authors who have their works in public libraries. Canada, the UK, and thirteen other countries provide such a program. From a pool of government funds, each author receives an amount calculated on the number instances their books appear on library shelves across the nation. All that authors need to do is submit their titles and ISBNs via the appropriate website and once a year a cheque plops into your mailbox. 

Copyright collectives
also exist in some countries and provide users, who have paid for a licence, with immediate, lawful and economic access to published works. The education sector is an example. Countries  also ensure that publishers and creators are fairly compensated for this copying of their work. (Sadly Canadian schools and universities have refused to pay the licence fees, and writers' payments dropped significantly this year.) This payment also applies to other creatives like photographers, composers, etc. who are published. Again, all  Canadian freelance writers and authors should join and register their works
Other countries’ copyright agencies may not compensate their authors but you should be able to find out at:

Also available from Access Copyright in Canada is an excellent free email course on Canadian copyright laws. Sign up at the site listed above and make yourself aware of this essential “must-have” info for writers. 
Don’t forget to apply for all the compensation you are entitled to as an author or freelancer. It’s more than you think — I earn nearly $2000.00 per year from these two agencies for my books, articles, and images. Others earn much more.

© Julie H. Ferguson 2015 (