My writers' critique group were talking about writing prompts last night and several members asked for some links. Carrie Rogozinski was kind enough to offer hers.
"There are...a few! I don't use them all regularly but there are a couple that I participate in each week," she said.
Daily emailed prompts:
- Figment - http://figment.com (go to the website and sign up for daily prompts)
- The Write Prompts - http://www.thewriteprompts.com (daily emailed prompts)
- Three Word Wednesday - http://www.threewordwednesday.com (weekly prompt)
- Trifecta - http://www.trifectawritingchallenge.com (weekly challenge with specific rules. Also has a weekend challenge)
- Be Kind Rewrite - http://bekindrewrite.com (weekly prompts posted on Mondays)
- Velvet Verbosity - http://www.velvetverbosity.com (100 word challenge)
- My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog - http://lancemyblogcanbeatupyourblog.wordpress.com/100-word-song/ (100 word challenge with a song as inspiration)
- Write On Edge - Red Writing Hood http://writeonedge.com/red-writing-hood/ (weekly prompt)
- Madison Woods Friday Fictioneers - http://www.madison-woods.com/Wordpress/ (~100 word photo prompt)
- Scriptic - http://www.scriptic.org (prompt challenge. You sign up each week and submit a prompt, one is issued to you to complete)
Many thanks, Carrie, for permission to post!
Writers can also use images, word triplets, news items, etc. to unleash story ideas. The list is endless.
My tip: turn off your monitor so you don't judge what you're writing and write at top speed. Five minutes is a good time to stop but if the words are flowing, keep going!