- don't give up your day job right now if you're lucky enough to have one
- pass along your knowledge through sessions at your community college's continuing ed programs
- today, even with point and shoot cameras, anyone can take photos good enough for print. Start selling your digital images to print and online markets
- sell your images to businesses and institutions
- write copy for company websites - small businesses are always looking for assistance.
- tutor students in English and writing
- offer to write promotional copy for small businesses
- provide editing/formatting services if you are good at this aspect of writing
Help yourself stay motivated by:
- Continuing your professional development - make a list of what you want to know more about, prioritize it, and work your way through it.
- Keeping current in your area(s) of interest.
- Remaining engaged with your writing community.
- Keeping a writing journal of ideas (in a notebook or on a voice recorder) that will provide fodder for articles when the climate warms up for freelancers.
- Learning how to edit your digital images with Picasa, a free program from Google - it's easy!