Friday, November 20, 2009

JUST RECEIVED MY KINDLE - FIRST IMPRESSIONS

My Canadian Kindle arrived 48 hours after I ordered it from Amazon.com. Straight out of the box, it worked. I found it already registered in my name and charged, and had instant wireless connectivity. I would have preferred the larger DX version, but that one is not yet available in Canada and costs USD$200 more!

The device is thinner than I expected, easy to use, and lightweight (10.2 oz/289gms) - easy to shove in an average-sized purse. The books I immediately ordered, other than those I wrote, are two that are not carried in Canadian libraries and they downloaded as promised in less than a minute.

I don't much like the tiny buttons and, with aging eyes, the pale grey on the keys is hard to read without good light and reading glasses. In contrast the screen is easy to read. Overall, I'm smiling broadly!