Wednesday, March 18, 2009

INSPIRATION STRIKES IN THE ODDEST PLACES

Last week, I came up with an idea for a series of books for boys, aged 10-13, who find reading a challenge. I was winging my way to Texas for a week's holiday and, bored with the book I was reading, began to stare out the window. Suddenly an idea began to niggle away at me and I let it meander around freely in my mind.

Within about fifteen minutes, I was yanking my small notebook out of my backpack. Less than an hour later, I had a list of thirty, yes thirty, settings. Not only that, I had sketched out the premise for a publisher for the 10,000 word books with a young hero for each.

The ideas simply poured out in a flow so fast, I could hardly get them down on paper. I suspect that all it took was relaxation and a blank mind for the ideas to surface in my consciousness. It was breathtaking!