Wednesday, January 23, 2008

LOSING CREATIVITY IN A NANO-SECOND

Recent experience has just taught me what sucks creativity and motivation out of a writer in a nano-second.

On January 2nd, my husband had a massive heart attack and emergency cardiac surgery. He spent the next 7+ days on life support. Although he is now home and doing well, I still have no focus or ability to concentrate. Writing is quite beyond me.

My last three weeks certainly bear out what research tells us: if you are significantly stressed, your adrenalin runs high. It is this high level in your bloodstream that stops creativity in its tracks. I'm not impatient to regain it--I know that it will return when life re-establishes its rhythm and tranquillity. In the meantime, I am relaxing in hot baths, and with my photos, music, and my husband.