Monday, November 19, 2007

CELEBRATING YOUR PROGRESS AS A WRITER

KILL TWO BIRDS WITH ONE LIST!

Rejection is a fact of life for writers, whether we are new at the game or old hands. But, the first few at the beginning of our careers can be disillusioning at best, or devastating at worst. So, we have to develop a way of coping with the reality of rejection slips. A Beacon reader recently emailed me with an article she wrote about dealing with the negativity that rejection can cause and the danger of believing that you are not making progress with your writing.

Here's Mandana Rastan's antidote (reprinted with her kind permission):

I record my accomplishments in a number of ways. I have a progress chart where I enter the date, time, writing project, and word count. Also, I have a writing resume showing all my publications, as well as all other writing activities such as memberships, workshops, conferences, and courses I’ve taken. ...I have two portfolios – one with all my published articles and letters, and another with all my poems and posters of poetry reading events I’ve participated in over the past six years. All of these help me remember and celebrate my accomplishments.

Mandana has begun her publication list--an essential task at the beginning of her writing career. This not only encourages her, but also ensures she won't forget any of her work that has been published. Twenty years on, her list will always be complete, ready to be attached to book proposals, included on her website, and available to magazine editors. Well done!

What should writers include on their publication lists? Any of your work that has been published in print or electronically, whether you have received a fee for it or not. It does not just have to be articles and/or books. Newsletters, manuals, videos, etc. count too.

To see what a pub list looks like and what can be included, take a look at mine at www.beaconlit.com/Publist.pdf